While it is true, Microsoft Office stands out as the most recognized and used office suite in the world . Because, it has managed to cover the entire Internet market because it interrelates desktop applications, servers and services for operating systems, in a single service .
Thus, one of the most used programs in this office suite, without a doubt, is Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel . Which, by default, are considered the most important word processor and spreadsheet so far, respectively . Which means that they are very useful for many users .
That is why, through their latest versions, these softwares have focused on optimizing the user experience and, therefore, it is now possible to link an Excel spreadsheet with a Word document easily . Through this post, we will teach you how to proceed correctly in those cases .
What should we keep in mind when inserting an Excel spreadsheet into Word?
Basically, a spreadsheet refers to a computer program that facilitates the performance, management and manipulation of a wide variety of complex calculations from numerical data that are stored through tables. Therefore, it is a very useful tool for both students and professionals in different fields .
This means that a spreadsheet is considered a multipurpose tool that is perfectly suited to carry out office activities related to data organization . In addition, it works to make timely decisions by creating graphical representations of the synthesized information and allows establishing strategic levels in favor of any objective .
Consequently, the possibility arises to insert a spreadsheet from Excel into a Word document . Due to the great utility of these elements that, of course, manage to enrich any digital writing in a remarkable way and can simplify the tasks of all those users who must manage their information from a word processor and a spreadsheet, simultaneously .
In addition to this, it is also necessary to take into account that, if when adding the spreadsheet in question within a Microsoft Word page you choose to do so from the “Link” option, all the modified data within Excel, they will also be updated within the Word document, automatically . This, as long as you use the 2016 version of the office suite. So any changes made will be reflected in both programs at the same time, practically .
Steps to insert a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet into Word
As we indicated previously, the possibility of adding an Excel spreadsheet in Word is very helpful for various students or professionals who must manage and edit their information from these two programs, simultaneously . However, as your requirements may be uneven, there are two ways to do it .
In that sense, both softwares focused on the productivity of their users, offer the possibility of inserting a spreadsheet with the data entered in Excel to display them from Word and, apart from that, they also allow adding this type of blank tables directly from the word processor .
Now, to begin, we will explain each of the steps to follow to be able to add an Excel spreadsheet in Microsoft Word in a traditional way and with the aim that any change made in its source program is displayed within the document Word automatically:
- First of all, you have to access the Excel document that contains the data to be displayed in the form of a table. For there, copy the range of data to paste into Word, either by selecting the “Copy” option or with the keyboard shortcut “Ctrl + C” .
- Once you have copied this element to the clipboard, it is time to open the Word document where you want to insert the spreadsheet and when you locate the insertion point, proceed to paste it . Either through the “Paste” option or with the “Ctrl + V” key combination .
Next, it ‘s time to choose one of the following options during the pasting process: “Link and use target styles” or “Link and keep source formatting”:
- Since then, any changes made to the spreadsheet from Excel will be reflected in your Microsoft Word document . In addition, if you close the latter and still make a modification in Excel, they will ask you if you want the element to be updated in the linked files, once you access the Word file again, we recommend that you answer “Yes” .
- If you want to edit the table from Excel directly from Word, you will have to right click on that table, select the option “Linked Spreadsheet Object” and then click on “Link Edit” to optimize its appearance .
- On the other hand, if instead of adding an Excel spreadsheet with the data already exposed, what you need is to insert this type of blank file into a Word document, there is also a practical solution for you. Fortunately, it is a method that requires a very simple process to follow and here we show you what it is about, step by step :
- In this case, the entire process must be carried out from Microsoft Word, exclusively. Which means that, you have to start by opening any Word document to insert your Excel spreadsheet .
- After that, locate the insertion point on a page or the specific area where you prefer to add the Excel-type table or table.
- Now, it’s time to click on the “Insert” tab found in the word processor’s options bar. There, look for the Tables group and once you press the down arrow, you have to select the option that indicates “Excel Spreadsheet” .
- After doing the above, the Excel table will be displayed in the indicated place and it is time to start adding each and every one of the data that you want to present in such a way in your Word text, with all the Excel tools and without having to leave the word processor.