Since the release of Windows XP, Microsoft’s operating systems tend to constantly update once we turn off the computer. This is a way to keep it up to date and free of vulnerabilities that could spoil the user experience in the future or compromise the security of saved data. They are generally carried out when the equipment is turned off, but in many cases these can be carried out while it is being used, causing it to restart so that they can be applied.
Regardless of when they occur, there are users for whom these updates are extremely annoying since they can take a long time to install and consume resources of the device and the entire network to which it is connected. Sometimes they can slow down your computer as well as the speed of the internet, which is not very pleasant to say. Although it should be noted that these updates are necessary and very useful, just like updates to an Android operating system or any other.
If you are one of those who is not comfortable with Windows 10 updates , in this tutorial we will perfectly teach you how to remove them completely using various methods that can delete them. This will no longer take place unless you decide to re-enable them in the future.
Steps to disable the installation of automatic updates in Windows 10
There are several very simple methods to apply that will help you in the task of deactivating these constant updates carried out by the Windows 10 operating system. They are very simple to do and will not take more than a few minutes. The most common are to change the system configuration, by means of a script or simply by disabling them. Below we explain each of them:
Disable Windows Update update service
Updates are really a service that Windows offers to its customers, a way to keep their operating systems 100% functional . Therefore, it is something optional and perfectly dispensable by the user. In simple steps you can delete this service by following the steps that we explain below:
- On the keyboard, press the combination “Menu (Windows logo key) + R “ which will open a small window in the lower left corner of your screen, also known as “Run .”
- Once the above window is invoked, proceed to type “services.msc ” and select “OK ” or press enter.
- This will open a window with a wide list of services available with the Windows 10 operating system, among which you must search for “Windows Updates ” and select it with a double click.
- This will open a small window in the central part of the interface with a series of configurable aspects of automatic updates. You must make sure you are in the “General ” tab and select the “Disabled ” option in “Startup Type “.
- Then you select “Apply ” and then “OK .” With this, the process will be finished and you will no longer be bothered by automatic Windows 10 updates.
Among the options that will appear in “Startup Type ” is “Manual ” which allows you to perform the updates manually. This is also a valid alternative since updates will only be made when you indicate it and the system will only limit itself to notifying you when there is a new one.
Change Group Policy Editor settings
Another way to disable automatic updates is through the Group Policy editor. This method is as simple as the previous one, but you can only apply it in the Professional, Education or Enterprise versions, if you have the Home version you will not be able to do it. So before trying, make sure you have one of the versions mentioned above. What you should do is the following:
- Perform the key combination Menu + R and type in the box run the command “gpedit.msc ” and click “OK ” or press enter.
- In the window that will open, go to Computer Configuration> Administrative Templates> Windows Components> Windows Update .
- Once here, select “Automatic update settings ” and check the “Disabled ” option , then select “Apply ” and then “OK .” In this way the updates will not be carried out automatically again.
If in the future you want to make updates again, you just have to follow these steps again, but in this case check the option enabled, and the device will download them again.
Switch to a medium usage connection
This is a method that you can only apply if your computer is connected to a WiFi network, if you use an Ethernet connection, this method will not work for you. To do this, you will simply have to carry out the following steps:
- Click the start button in the lower left corner of your screen and open the “ Settings ” application .
- Once the above action is executed, position yourself in the “Network and Internet ” section and once in it, select “WiFi ” and enter “Advanced settings “.
- Finally, check the option “Set as a medium use connection ” click “OK ” and you’re done.
This last option is not highly recommended since logically you are limiting your internet connection, which not only means that certain data will stop downloading, but the internet connection will also be reduced. However, it is still a valid alternative to disable automatic updates in Windows 10 .
Change the way Windows 10 updates using the registry
This method is a bit more dangerous and requires some general computer skills. We explain below so that you can apply it and disable automatic updates. What you have to do is:
- Open the “Run “box by pressing Menu + R and type the command “regedit “.
- Once in the registry follow the path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Policies \ Microsoft \ Windows
- When locating the Windows folder, right-click, hover over “New ” and select “Password .”
- Name the new key “Windows Update .”
- Position yourself on the newly created key and create a new key that you will call “AU “.
- Right click on the new key and select “New ” and then “DWORD Value (32BITS) “, which will create a new key of that value that you must name “AUOption “.
- Double click on this new key and change its value to 2 . Close the registry editor and the job is done.
This will not completely disable updates, but they will no longer be automatic and from now on every time there is one you will be asked for permission to install it. It should be noted that this method has its risks and any error can cause irreparable damage that makes you reinstall the operating system from scratch. Therefore, it is advisable to make a backup copy with one of the many software that exist for it, so that your information is backed up.
Using a script
Finally, there is the option to disable updates using a script, which may be the simplest method of all. To do this you simply have to follow these steps:
- Open the notes blog and write the following code:
sc config wuauserv start = disable
sc config bits start = disable
sc config DcomLaunch start = disable
net start wuauserv
net stop wuauserv
net start bits
net stop bits
net stop DcomLaunch
- Save the text document and change its extension from “ .TXT ” to “ .BAT ”.
- Run the script as administrator and voila (right click on the file and Run as Administrator), the automatic update service will be disabled.
List of programs to disable and block Windows 10 updates
Another way to stop Windows 10 updates is to install software that is responsible for suppressing them . These programs are a way to automate the processes explained above, so that you can more easily apply them to enable or disable updates.
This is a very easy-to-use software that will allow you to stop automatic Windows 10 Home updates, which are the most difficult to disable. The program has a very easy-to-use interface that will allow you to enable and disable this Microsoft service in just a few clicks . In the same way, you can also make the updates manual, so that the system will alert you when new ones are available and decide if you want to download them or not.
This is free software that consumes very little resources. In addition, you can uninstall it whenever you want with just a couple of clicks.
Windows 10 Updater Disabler
This is another application that will allow you to enable and disable Windows 10 updates in a very simple way. Its download is free and its interface is very easy to understand. It is ideal for the Home version, since this is the one that causes the most problems when deactivating automatic updates.
This is a program that automatically performs the process that we explained above to change the registry editor. It is a process that can be done manually but it will be easier for you to do with this software . To do this you simply have to download it, run it and voila, no program will be installed as such, only the necessary changes will be made to stop Windows Update updates.
How to uninstall updates that have already been applied and go back to the previous version?
What happens when the updates have already been installed? If these are causing problems in the operation of the entire operating system. You simply have to uninstall them . This is very easy to do and for this you simply have to use the Windows 10 control panel . What you have to do is follow the steps that we explain below.
- Click the start button in the lower left corner of the screen and follow the path: Settings> Update & security> Windows Update> Advanced options> View update history> Uninstall updates .
- Once in this section, you will see all the updates installed up to the date in question. What you have to do is select the ones that give you problems and click on the “Uninstall ” option , this way the system will delete them and it will be as if they were never installed.
It should be noted that if you have automatic system updates active, this entire process will be sterile since all the add-ons that you just removed will be reinstalled. For this reason, it is necessary to deactivate Windows Update with one of the methods that we explained previously to avoid this problem.
Another important thing to know is that this way only certain updates will be uninstalled, but not the drivers. To uninstall the latter you simply have to do the following:
- You must click the start button in the lower left corner of the interface and follow the path: Settings> System> Applications and features .
- From there you will see all the drivers installed to date and you can remove them all by selecting them and executing the “Uninstall ” option .
Why are Windows 10 updates so important?
While they can be quite annoying, Windows 10 updates are quite important and you shouldn’t disable them . They are a necessity for the system, since they keep several of its most important features perfectly functional, especially with regard to accessories and drivers.
The most important of all the reasons why you should not disable them is for the security of the computer and your data in general. New vulnerabilities are emerging that can be exploited by malicious users to access both your personal information, such as your address, as well as your bank details . Windows Updates are in charge of identifying these vulnerabilities and modifying the system to reduce the probability of them affecting you since they keep your Firewall up to date to protect you from all kinds of possible attacks.
On the other hand, there is the fact that many of the programs that you have installed to guarantee a better functioning of your operating system need to be updated. Failure to do so can compromise its functions and make the computer run slower despite good performance.
Updates are certainly necessary and it is best to keep them active . In case you don’t want to, we’ve already taught you multiple ways to do it in this tutorial so that you can disable and enable them at will in a few minutes.