Behind every product launched by companies such as Microsoft, Apple, Android and other large, there are dozens or hundreds of designers working . They do it so that, in this case, the operating system is functional and at the same time elegant and tempting. However, there are no dislikes about likes.
That is why many of the operating systems offer the possibility of modifying certain visual aspects of it. That is, customize interface elements.
There are different reasons why a person wants to change the visual of the system. For my own pleasure it would perhaps be the main one. Does anyone use the same default desktop background? Most likely not. But also for a practical matter, it is more efficient to group certain programs. If we talk about Windows, we will show you the customization possibilities.
What are all the aspects that we can customize in my Windows?
From the beginning we can say that many. It is one of the operating systems that allows the most modifications to its interface. Sure, always within the limits set by the developer. To begin, we will name you most of the aspects that can be customized.
We invite you to comment which ones you think are missing from the list:
- Desktop Image
- Window color
- Start Menu
- Desktop icons
- Name of the team
- Multitasking mode
- Screen saver
- Rainmeter Skins
- System sounds
- User Image
Steps to customize my Windows 10 desktop image
It is for sure, the first modification we make to the computer . If we used it as a child, the first wallpaper would have been a drawing made in Paint . Although the real fund revolution came with XP , remember the green hill? This is what you need to do to change the wallpaper.
- The first method consists of pressing the right button of the mouse on the background that we are going to change.
- Choose the “Customize” option . Not to be confused with “Display Settings” .
- A window will open with different modifications available. To replace the previous image, press the “Browse” button .
- Next, browse through your images and select your new background.
- Press the “Choose image” button .
- No need to touch anything else, the desktop image has already changed .
Within this menu, there are other options to change the background. Within the drop-down “Background”, you can choose a very minimalist solid color. Also tell the system to change images from time to time.
Follow this combination of actions:
- To do this, choose the “Presentation” option .
- Click on “Browse” to choose the container file for these images.
- “Choose this folder” when you have decided.
- You can decide the time interval between images.
- If you want them to appear in a random order, slide the button to “On . “
The second method is simpler, but without so many configuration options:
- You must know the location of the image file.
- Once in the corresponding file, press the right button on the new background and select “Set as new desktop background” .
- It will immediately become the new background image.
Learn to configure multiple desktops in Windows 10 fast and easy
Many users tend to use several programs at the same time. Current computers allow it, given their capacity and power. In some cases, like in a web browser, we can open multiple windows. But at the end of the day we will find a task interface crowded with applications and open windows .
That is why Windows 10 offers the possibility of using several desktops where you can organize your windows. It’s a new feature that few users take advantage of.
We will show you how to use and configure it:
- Accessed from multitasking mode. Which is entered in two ways. By pressing the “Start” + “Tab” buttons or by pressing the corresponding button on the task bar. If you cannot see the latter, press the right button on the bar and choose “Show Task View button”.
- After the previous step, you will be able to see how all the open windows are organized. At one end of the screen you will find the phrase “New desktop” . Press it.
- By doing so, all the ones you had will be stored in “Desk 1” . Conversely, “Desktop 2” will be free.
- You can continue starting new programs or drag some of the already open ones to the new desktop.
To configure some options for this new option, perform the following steps:
- Enter settings (in the start menu it is symbolized by a gear).
- Select “System . “
- In the sidebar, choose “Multitasking . “
- Modifications that correspond to desktops are at the end.
- Configure these options to see how the windows you use are displayed on each desktop.
How to Install Skins on desktop with Rainmeter to make it original?
Rainmeter is a desktop customization program external to Windows . It is free and open source, which makes it easy for many users to share their aesthetics.
This tool allows you to add items, outside of the icons, to the desktop. Each set of them ( Skins ) are called Suites . And they can be downloaded from different sites. In addition to being visually attractive, each skin fulfills a function, such as giving the time or displaying system information, among others.
In order to have this tool and use the different skins, continue with these steps:
- Go to rainmeter.net .
- Look for the “Download Final” button, we recommend it above “Beta” .
- After the download is complete, run the installer.
When the process is finished, the program will open automatically. The Illustrious theme is the default one . You will also be able to observe that several skins already appear on your desktop. You can keep them and accommodate them in the place you like the most or deactivate them and look for other Suites .
- To do this, first click the secondary button of the mouse on the box and select “Unload skin” or “Download skin” if you use the Spanish version. You will have to repeat this operation on all the squares.
- Each Skin has different options at the same time. You can find them by right clicking on one and selecting “Skin Manager” .
- It is time to look for another Suite . Being free software, you can find topics on many pages. We recommend that you start by choosing one from deviantart.com/rainmeter . If you haven’t, register on the site.
- When you have chosen the theme (s), press the download icon below each sample. As a recommendation, choose a particular file where to save the Suites .
- After the download is complete, run the file and the installation begins. When it is finished you will be able to find the theme in the “Skin Manager” window .
Many of these skins collect information from the operating system itself. Such as the time, the available space on the disks, even the CPU temperature . But in other cases, such as those that offer the weather, it is necessary to configure it ourselves.
To do this you will have to:
- Right click on the weather box (in this case). Choose the “Edit skin” option .
- A text file will open. Look for the line that begins with “URL”, especially the one that indicates a “# WeatherCode #”. We must replace this part with the code that corresponds to our location.
- Find this code on the weather.com site by entering your location.
- Copy the code in the site address, then replace the code in the text file. As figure in the picture.
- Save the changes and you will have your Weather Skin configured.
Change the theme of Windows 10 to customize it easily and quickly from scratch
A theme is a set of customizations set by a user. We have seen how to customize some elements. But a much faster option is to use an already created theme.
To do so, follow these steps:
- Use the shortcut “Start” + “I” .
- In the side menu, choose “Themes . “
- You will be able to see your current theme or the default Windows one. If you want another press “Get more themes in Microsoft Store” .
- Doing this will take you to the specialized tab of the store. Choose the one you like the most, most are free.
- With this you can have a preview of the images it contains. If you like it, press “Get” . The download will start.
- At the end, it will appear within your options in the “Themes” tab . To use it, just select it.
Learn how to customize the Windows 10 start menu to give it your own style
The start menu is the window that is displayed when we press the Windows icon on the taskbar . It also has its own key on the keyboard, it usually has the operating system symbol. Not long ago, Microsoft decided to remove this menu, as we knew it before and now. In version 8, a new screen was accessed with all the programs.
With its update to 8.1 it returned and is still being used in 10. The design of this menu is simple and minimalist, thought about the ease of finding and organizing programs. For the latter, follow these steps.
To access the menu settings we must enter “Personalize” by right clicking on the desktop:
- In the side bar choose “Start” . You will find the following possibilities in this window.
- Show more icons on Home.
- Show application list in Start menu.
- View recently added applications.
- Show the most used applications .
- See suggestions occasionally in Start.
- Use full screen in Start (Like Windows 8).
- Show recently opened items from shortcut lists on Start or on the taskbar or in the File Explorer Quick Access.
You can activate or deactivate each of the previous options. But it also offers us the ability to organize and catalog the programs without leaving the menu:
- If you have an application that you do not use often and you want to remove it because it takes up space, you must press the right button on it in the Start menu and a context menu will be displayed. Choose “Unpin from Start . “
- Do the same to add a program, only opting for “Pin to Start” .
- You can change the size of each box in this menu. There are four sizes depending on the application. Large, Wide, Medium and Small.
- If you group the shows, you can change or add a name to the category. Press the two horizontal lines that are above to do it.
How to customize the taskbar of my Windows 10 computer?
Since its inception, the taskbar has accompanied Microsoft operating systems. Version 10 is no exception. Like the previous items, this one can also be personalized.
Do the following:
- To begin with, we will change the size and location of it. Press the right button on the bar and deactivate “Lock taskbar” .
- You can then drag and drop it to either end of the screen. It is also possible to widen it, from the outer edge.
- By pressing the secondary click on it again, you will be able to access “Taskbar configuration” .
In this window you can:
- Lock the taskbar .
- In desktop mode, automatically hide the taskbar.
- In tablet mode, automatically hide the application icons on the taskbar.
- Use small buttons on the taskbar.
- Use Browse to preview the desktop by moving the mouse to the Show Desktop button at the bottom of the taskbar.
- Replace Command Prompt with Windows PowerShell in the menu by right-clicking the Start button or pressing Windows key + X.
- Show notifications on taskbar buttons. Choose the location of the on-screen taskbar .
Discover how to make the taskbar transparent in W10 step by step
A small change that will make the Windows interface even friendlier is to activate the transparency effects. To achieve this, follow these steps:
- Press Windows key + i. The setup menu will open.
- Select “Personalization . “
- In the sidebar, choose “Colors . “
- Activate the “Transparency Effects” slider . This will make the bar semi translucent.
If you want to make it 100% colorless, you can download the TranslucentTB program from the Microsoft Store. It is a free tool.
Discover how to customize all the icons on your desktop and other folders
Let’s start with a deeper customization. If you want to change the desktop icons and leave Windows with your style, follow these steps:
To do it without using any external tool, you should take the trouble to change the icons of folders and programs one by one:
- Choose the item you want to customize. Click on it with the right mouse button.
- At the end of the list click on “Properties” .
- Go to the “Customize” tab .
- Do the same with the “Change Icon” button .
- A small window will open with a variety of images that come with the system. You can choose between them. But if you want to use another, you can download it from the Internet. There are many sites that offer .ICO file packages that will help you.
- Repeat for each item you want to customize.
It is an external tool that contains and facilitates the change of icons of the system as a whole. In order to carry out this process, you need, in principle, said software and a package of themes of your choice that you can find on the Internet:
- Once downloaded and installed, open the program.
- Go to the “Look & Feel” tab .
- Select “Add icon Package” and within it “Install from disk …” .
- The file explorer will open, head to the location of the downloaded theme and hit “Open . “
- After doing so, you will see said package at the bottom of the program.
- Select it and you can preview it.
- If it convinces you, click on the “apply changes” button at the top right of the window.
It’s that simple to make changes with IconPackager.
Learn how to download and install custom cursors for your mouse
To make this change, it is necessary first to download a pack of cursors or pointers. As they are very light files, many options usually come in compressed files. You can find them on different websites. We recommend that you use YouTube, as you can view them before downloading.
To change the standard cursors to custom ones, follow these steps:
- Press the Start menu button and type “Change the appearance or speed of the mouse pointer . “
- Choose the recommended option.
- In the “Pointers” tab .
- Select the cursor you want to change (each indicates a different function) and press “Browse” .
- Locate the file where the pack you downloaded is located. And choose the replacement by pressing “Open” .
- Press “Apply” to see how it looks and “OK” to finish.
- Repeat the process if you want to change the other types of cursors.
Find out how to install and resize system fonts
Predetermining a font like the system font is a tedious and very complicated operation. You have to create log files, modify codes and we always run the risk of not being able to go back.
For this reason, we recommend that you use the Advanced System Font Changer tool . It is portable and free: