Today, Excel is considered the most important office software for accounting, financial, organizational and programming tasks . Because it consists of an arrangement of rows and columns divided by boxes that facilitate the creation, modification and management of spreadsheets.
Thanks to this feature, it is an ideal software to effectively tabulate and organize any type of information, as well as to insert data in order to interpret and store it for study . In addition, it provides numerous functions and tools to be able to work with numerical data and to make calculations using mathematical utilities .
As if that were not enough, it offers options dedicated to table management . This means that, within this program, users have the possibility of creating a table within a spreadsheet in order to keep any data flow organized and present them in a better way . Therefore, below, we explain how to create and customize a table in Excel .
Learn how to create a table in your Microsoft Excel spreadsheets
While it is true, creating and using tables in Excel spreadsheets is completely useful for users who use this Microsoft program . Since, in addition to being elements that facilitate the organization of information on a large scale.
They also allow you to sort data in a simple way, change the style and colors according to the tastes of the person, add or delete rows and columns, as well as filter data. But, to be able to do all this, first of all, it is essential to know how to create a table within a Microsoft Excel document, correctly .
Therefore, we proceed to explain each and every one of the steps to follow to carry out this action:
- To begin, you have to access the Excel file in which you want to create your new table or, failing that, in the blank spreadsheet to use for it.
- After that, with the mouse cursor located in the cell from where you want to create your table, go to the options bar of the program and click on the “Insert” tab .
- Then, in the options available in that tab, find and select the one that says “Table” .
- Once this is done, a small box will be displayed that shows the selected range between the existing cells, to create the table in question. Therefore, you must slide the mouse in order to cover the total number of rows and columns that you want your new table to contain .
- Once you have made the choice indicated above, you just have to click on the “Accept” button in the corresponding box . With this, immediately, your complete table will be displayed in Excel in order to enter the data you need in it.
- Additionally, you have the ability to customize the style of the table . This, from the tab “Table Tools> Design” and there, just click on the box “Table Styles” to choose the one you like the most.
Master Excel Tables Learn how to fully customize Excel tables!
Beyond modifying the style of the tables that you create in Microsoft Excel, you also have other additional options of great interest to fully customize these elements .
That is why, in this section of the post, we will teach you how to sort data within a table, how to add or delete rows and columns, as well as how to filter data correctly:
By means of this utility, it is possible to reorganize the data in order to find values more quickly or, failing that, to prescribe the information in alphabetical order or by color (if possible) . Assessing that, it is an effect that occurs based on each column of data.
Here’s how to do it:
- Initially, it looks for the Excel document and the table to organize through the function provided by the program .
- Next, locate the column you want to rearrange and click the down arrow in the first cell of that column .
- Now, among the available options, you can choose between “Sort from A to Z”, “Sort from Z to A” or “Sort by color” .
- Once you select any of the previous options, you will see the change that will be made within the table in question and around all the added data, accordingly .
For its part, this procedure can also be carried out directly from the “Home” tab of the options bar . There, you have to find the Modify group and then click on “Sort and filter” in order to be able to choose any of the options mentioned in the previous process.
Add or remove rows and columns
For many users, it is also necessary to know how to add new rows or columns within an Excel table, as well as delete some of them .
In this case, the steps to follow are also very simple, and then we specify each of them:
- To add an additional row or column, go to the cell from which you want to add any of these elements. So, right click there and then select the “Insert” option . Then, click on “Table columns on the left” to add a new column or click on “Table rows above” to be able to enter a new row.
- On the contrary, if you want to cancel a row or column in your table, you have to go to the cell to delete and right-click on it. Subsequently, click on “Delete” and among the options that are displayed, choose if you prefer to delete the entire column in question or the rows located in that order .
It should be noted that, to delete the information contained in any row or column, you can also do it using the mouse and keyboard of your computer . Since, just by choosing the entire row or column by sliding the mouse cursor and pressing the “Del” key, the data of that array will be deleted.
Filter data in a table
Through Excel, you can also filter the information from a table in a spreadsheet. Either to find values quickly, control what you want to see at a time or data and even to exclude certain data momentarily . Whereas, you can filter values based on the choices you make from a list or by creating specific filters.
To do this, the steps to follow are:
- Once you locate the table to filter in this way, you have to proceed to find the column to which you want to apply the filter (either text or by color).
- Next, click on the down arrow that contains the column for the table in question and select the type of filtering you want to apply to it . In this case, we will choose “Text Filters” .
- Next, choose one of the available parameters, in order to filter the information according to that aspect. Here, we select “Starts with” and, immediately, the indicated box will be displayed to assign there the data from which you prefer to filter the content of the table.
- Now, click on the “OK” button and automatically, the values that match the applied filter will be displayed, solely and exclusively.