If you don’t know how to connect hardware to your PC with W10 , don’t worry! because in this article we will explain the step by step you must do to connect any type of peripheral without problems.
For this it is necessary that you continue reading to know what are all the types of ports available in a PC and what hardware can be installed in each one.
Once you have this information we will explain the step by step you should do and how you can solve the error when you install new hardware and Windows does not recognize the device . Check out!
What are all the types of ports available on a PC and what hardware can be installed on each one?
First of all, it is important to define what is a hardware and what is a port of a computer. A device is made up of a program and physical elements, the program is called software (or soft part) and the physical elements are called hardware . Within this last group are the peripheral components, these can be the keyboard, the mouse, the monitor and the printer, among others.
Now let’s see what a computer port is. It is a terminal or connector that is used to connect peripherals and serves to send and receive information between these types of hardware. There are different ports that you can find on a PC .
- USB, in which a flash memory or pendrive is connected for example. Among this type of port there are different versions that are characterized by the data transmission speed that each one has and by their size.
- HDMI, this port is used to transfer high definition video and audio. A clear example of this is the possibility of connecting a television to the computer. A little older, but that can still be found today are the VGA and DVI ports for connecting monitors. While for analog audio the RCA ports are used.
- It is also possible to find to transfer videos and connect cameras, FireWire and SP-DFI ports .
- Ethernet , also called the RJ 45 port, is the connector used to introduce the Internet cable so that the computer accesses the web through a LAN connection .
- SATA , this port is used to connect external hard drives to the computer. You can find in some old devices IDE or ATA ports, which were replaced by the one mentioned.
- MIDI, used for plugging in musical instruments and editing, by means of special programs, music and sound. It is also used for the connection of video game joysticks.
- Power port, this connector is perhaps the most important, because it ensures that the device receives electrical current to the source so that the computer is turned on.
Learn step by step how to connect any hardware to your Windows 10 PC so that it works well
For hardware to work you need a setup . Some components come with a CD-DVD disc with the driver, but this has been neglected a bit and the installation software is currently on the Internet or detected by your own Windows 10 computer .
The steps that you will have to perform will depend on the type of device you want to add, although in reality these do not differ much from each other. For this reason, we will explain below how you should do to install a printer, which is one of the most complicated hardware to operate correctly.
The guide that you should follow is the following:
- The first thing you should do is connect the printer to your computer.
- Next, you will have to go to the bottom left of your screen and click on the Windows Start icon .
- You will see in the left sector a symbol of a gear, which represents the Settings menu . What you should do now is press on it to open other options.
- Choose the Devices tool .
- Then you must select Printers and scanners .
- Once you are done with these steps you will have to click Add a printer or scanner .
- Wait a few minutes for the operating system to find the nearby printers. When you read the name of the brand and model of your printer you will have to select it and then click on Add device .
- What remains to be done is to continue the intuitive steps that the installation wizard will indicate .
In case you have a driver disc for your printer, you must insert it into the DVD drive tray and wait a few seconds until you see a window on your screen that will indicate the steps to follow. Generally, depending on the model and brand of your printer, you just need to click the Next button to configure the hardware.
If the window does not appear automatically, you will have to open Windows File Explorer . You can do this by typing the name of the tool in the search bar located in the lower section of the screen. Then, you will have to go to the drive that represents the CD-DVD tray and click on it. This step will cause the disk to be read to begin working on the installation. If for some reason this does not happen, it is possible that you have damaged the disc or the DVD player .
Windows does not recognize the device How can I fix this error when installing new hardware?
If for some reason the operating system does not recognize the device when you are installing the new hardware, you will have to follow this process to solve the error:
- First you must make sure that the problem is not the operating system but a connection error. For this reason, you will have to unplug and try to restart the printer (continuing with the previous example of installing a printer or scanner).
- If this does not work, you will have to check the connection of the cables, both the electrical cables and those that connect the printer to the computer.
- In case the error continues you will have to uninstall and reinstall the hardware.
It may happen that the problem is in the lack of driver update. To do this, you will have to go to the official website of the manufacturer of your printer (or the hardware you want to install) and download the updated installation program .
In general, to perform this task you will have to click on the button or on the Drivers tab . Once you have downloaded the installation software, you will have to try again if the operating system finds the printer. In case you continue with the same error you will have to use the Windows 10 tool called Troubleshooter .
To carry out this task you will have to follow this process:
- Go to the Notifications section located at the bottom right of your screen.
- You will find an icon that reports the detection of a hardware problem, so you will have to click on it to open the aforementioned function.
- Once you open this tool, you will have to wait a few seconds for the OS to find the error.
- If this does not solve anything you will have to uninstall and install the hardware again.
You have to keep in mind that to carry out this task you must have administrator permissions.