One of the most used operating systems in the world is Windows 10 due to its speed and usability . Therefore, if you recently installed this software or bought a computer with the latest version of the program, I recommend that one of your priorities is to configure it in the best way so that you get the most out of it in terms of performance and security.
To some the term configure will sound strange on this occasion since generally this system is already pre-installed and in a few steps it can be put to work. However, its default settings can clutter the user experience a bit in front of the computer, so it is advisable to customize it for best results.
We have prepared a step-by-step guide to configure Windows 10, since this operating system has been gaining many followers every day, because it is light and much more secure than its predecessors ( Windows 7 and 8 ). Therefore, once you have installed for the first time, you must make the necessary adjustments in terms of security. Keep in mind, that you live in an interconnected world and there is always the possibility of receiving attacks from malicious people while you are using the computer.
Steps to configure Windows 10 for better performance and faster
When you buy a computer, it usually comes installed with an operating system, from the beginning, without previous adjustments in the software settings, and unfortunately this causes poor performance on the computer, generating security problems when executing programs such as Microsoft Word. , Excel, Adobe Photoshop, to name a few.
Therefore, in this article, you will learn to efficiently configure your Windows 10 operating system after the first installation, yes, you must follow the steps that I mention which are well detailed, the operation in general is not difficult, This is what you will get with in this tutorial.
The first thing you should do is go to “Settings ” and select “Privacy “. Within this section you will find a series of options.
Click on “General “, then on the screen on the right side you will see some elements that you must activate, which are:
- Allow applications to use my id. advertising : The Microsoft platform will provide you with personal messages in the applications you have installed. Disabling this will not affect the performance of the operating system.
- Activate the Smartscreen filter : This option must be activated. This allows you to keep track of the addresses of the programs you have purchased.
- Send information to Microsoft about how I write : What this option does is improve the autocomplete suggestions. It is related to providing more accessibility with the keyboard, I advise you to deactivate them.
- Let websites offer relevant local content : I recommend that you leave it activated, if you master a language other than the American language, this function will help you a lot. Otherwise disable it.
Windows come with the option of location, as this gives Microsoft the place of origin of the user. Provides everything related to postal zone, room address, interactive maps. However, this is not necessary on a desktop device, so it is worth disabling it .
To do this you simply have to go into “Settings> Location” and turn off the corresponding switch.
You can partially disable this option, so that it does not affect the Cortana program. This software is related to security, it processes your voice, to give access to your location address, calendar notifications, in addition to collecting data from your mobile device .
In case you are not interested in having this function active, select the Start Menu and type anything. Click on the notepad icon on the left side and choose “Settings “. There you can disable Cortana.
Search online and include suggested web results
If you turn off this utility, it will show you an option. Disable it to avoid annoying messages about preferences in the start menu, which also processes what it transcribes and communicates it to Microsoft for analysis, worsening your privacy.
How to get to know me
You go to “Settings> Privacy”, here you will locate “Voice, handwriting and writing “, you will locate the “How to meet me ” function. It is the most vulnerable part of Windows 10. I recommend that you leave it disabled. What you have to do is press the “Stop knowing me ” button.
Disabling “How to meet me” makes Windows 10 stop storing data on your computer, but you will have to delete the backup in the cloud separately . Then click on “Go to Bing ” which manages personal information on all your hardware, to delete the data stored in your Microsoft account .
Microsoft Edge browser
Open the browser and go to “Settings> Advanced settings” . Once there, a series of options will appear:
- Allow Cortana to help me in Microsoft Edge : Disable this option, so you will avoid being tracked.
- Show search suggestions when writing : Similar to the one in the start menu, the browser processes what you type, what it does is give you help for predictive text, if this option bothers you, deactivate it.
- Protect my PC against malicious downloads and sites : As we mentioned in the first section, the Smartscreen filter records the web addresses you visit and does so in order to protect you against dangerous websites. I advise you to leave it activated.
Manage Wireless Networks
You go to “Settings> Network and Internet> Wi-Fi> Wi-Fi Settings > Manage Wi-Fi Settings”.
Here it is important that you have an account that Microsoft records personal information and saves it in the cloud. I want you to focus on the security issue.
- Synchronize the settings : It moves you to Settings, then Accounts, until you get to Synchronize, here you decide if you are going to share with your other Windows PCs. This includes password, themes, backgrounds. I recommend deactivating it .
- Bitlocker encryption: Encrypting the information of your hard driver is essential, so Bitlocker is already pre-installed in all Windows, if by chance you have Home Edition, it will save the information directly and your recovery key together with your Microsoft account .
Windows 10 update
Keep in mind that this operating system does not give you the option to disable updates .
- You must go to “Settings> Updates and security” .
- Here, choose “Advanced options” and select the way you want to receive the updates.
- I recommend you select the option “Computers in the local network “. This way the connected computers will update more efficiently.
Comments and diagnoses
As is customary, it directs you to “Settings> Privacy> Comments> Diagnostics”, there you will find two elements to consider:
- Frequency : For Windows it is important to know your opinion of the operation of the operating system and sometimes it will ask you, we suggest that you deactivate it. You must select “Never “.
- Diagnosis and use of data : Here what the Microsoft company wants is to know all the applications that you have installed, to keep a detailed record of your favorites, it also allows information on the performance of the operating system in terms of memory use . Turn it off .
The reality is that Windows 10 does not allow deactivation in the entire diagnostic, except in the Enterprise version of Windows 10 .
You must go “Settings> Update and security> Windows Update”, then go to “Advanced options ” until you get to “Delivery optimization”, here the option to choose is “Deactivated” .
You go to “Settings ” and select “Camera “. Here it will depend on your needs. If you leave this option activated, you are giving permission for other people to access your camera and microphone. If you are a user of social networks, who share a lot of information, leave it activated. Now if you are an introvert user, disable it.
Increase your privacy in Windows 10 with these tips
Some accuse Windows 10 of undermining user privacy . Instead of getting into controversy, avoid the problem by taking advantage of Microsoft’s options for tweaking your system. The idea is to silence those voices. These configuration options will increase your privacy. Here are these practical tips.
Deactivate “Activity Center”
The activity center can start to take up space in your computer’s RAM and cause it to slow down, so it’s best to disable it.
To do this you simply must:
- Go to the start bar, find the search option, type the command gpedit.msc and then click on the command.
- Then you go to the editor, there you look for “User Configuration “, then “Administrative Templates “, then “Start Menu ” and you go to the taskbar.
- At this point you must “Delete notifications” .
Avoid automatic updates
For many , Windows 10 updates can be a real annoyance, so they are looking for a way to disable them. Fortunately this can be done very easy, so if you belong to the aforementioned group, what you should do is the following:
- Settings> Update and security and then you will click on “View update history “.
- Then click “Uninstall updates .”
Remember the restore point allows you to undo unwanted changes by returning to its original state. With that said, let’s get down to business:
- Launch bar, then go to the search option and type “Restore Point ” then click “Create Restore Point “.
- A box will appear and you will click on “Configure” .
- Now simply check and activate “Enable system protection “.
If you apply all these tips, you will considerably improve the security of your Windows 10 computer, so that you can enjoy it to the fullest without taking risks and improving your privacy.