Currently, PowerPoint continues to be one of the most recognized software in the office environment, given that it is one of the tools in the Microsoft suite most widely used in the world. Well, by default, it consists of the program used to create slide- based presentations that allow you to enter any type of content .
As a result, this Microsoft software provides the tools to insert , edit, and format text along the slides . As if that were not enough, it also allows to enrich the presentations through visual and audiovisual elements, such as: images, animations, graphics, music and videos, for example.
Added to that, thanks to the versatility and flexibility that characterizes PowerPoint, users have the power to configure their presentations with complete freedom . Which guarantees a high level of customization and provides a truly optimal user experience. To know what these settings are and how to configure them, we invite you to read this post .
Learn step by step how to correctly configure your PowerPoint presentations
Although it is true, the configuration options of your PowerPoint presentations are very useful to couple the creation and reproduction of your slides, according to your requirements . Thus, in order for you to be able to carry out this configuration correctly and in a timely manner, you must know what the available options are and how you have to handle them .
For this, first of all, you must keep in mind the steps to follow in order to access the configuration window in PowerPoint . In this case, it is essential that you enter the PPTX file to be adjusted and then click on the “Slide Show” tab that is available on the ribbon. Then, in the Configure group, select “Slide Show Settings.”
At that time, the following options will appear:
It refers to the first section available in the “Configure presentation” window and, basically, allows you to choose between three existing selections to define how your presentation will be viewed by the public.
In this sense, you can choose any of these three alternatives, just by checking its box:
- Made by a speaker (full screen) : It is an ideal type of presentation to expose your slides before a live and direct audience . Since, the speaker has full control of the development of the full screen slide show. That way, you can run it manually or automatically, interrupt the presentation, record a narration while the content progresses, and more.
- Examined individually (window) : This is an option that mainly allows attendees to observe the presentation through a CD, a computer’s hard drive or through the Internet . This, from a window that can be accompanied by a scroll bar.
- Examined in exhibition (full screen) : If you need to make sure that the presentation in question advances in a loop so that users do not have the possibility to modify the development of all the slides, this type of presentation is perfect for you . Which, generally, is used in the stands.
Using this section, you have the ability to define which slides you want to show to viewers . Therefore, you can choose “All” if you want to show the presentation in its entirety. On the other hand, if you prefer to establish a kind of range based only on those panels that will be presented, there are several options.
You have to rely on the second option available to indicate the numbering of the first and last slide in the “From” and “To” bars, respectively . On the other hand, through “Show slides”, you can also choose to present the personalized programs that you have developed through the original PowerPoint presentation. This, by selecting “Custom Presentation” .
It consists of a section through which you can activate or deactivate different options based on the presentation, depending on your requirements . These options are decisive in order to customize the way your slides will be displayed and establish the control you have over them.
Thus, you can check or uncheck the following boxes:
- Repeat the cycle until you press the Esc key : It is used to make a continuous loop with your presentation . In this way, it will continue its reproduction, automatically and indefinitely (even when it has finished). Which will only stop once you press the Esc key on your computer.
- Show without narration : It is the option that allows you to specify which narrations have to be shown during a presentation. It is usually not marked.
- No animation : In case you prefer your presentation to be animated , you must not select this option. Whereas, animations are visual effects that are applied to the objects present on your slides.
- Disable graphics hardware acceleration: A graphics accelerator is a type of video adapter that contains its own processor to increase performance . Therefore, if you want to optimize the performance of your presentation, you do not need to activate this option.
- Change the color of the pen : In this option, you have to click on the down arrow of the small box to select the color that you want to give to the PowerPoint pen feature .
- Change laser pointer color : As in the previous option, at this point, you can also change the color of the program’s laser pointer to further customize your presentation.
It refers to a section of the “Configure presentation” window that simply has two options available from which you have the possibility to set the duration mode of your presentation . In this case, you can check “Manual” to define, by yourself, the time in which the presentation will be played. But, if you want it to play automatically, you just have to click on “Use saved slide intervals” (by default, it is the one used).
View on multiple monitors
Since exhibitors creating their PowerPoint files typically rely on a laptop and projector to display their presentation and present, they need to select where they prefer to view their slides . As a consequence, through “Slide Show Monitor”, it is possible to select “Automatic” or “Main Monitor” .
If you choose the Main Monitor option , you will have the possibility to view the presentation on the computer and define its resolution. On the other hand, if you choose to view it from the projector, you will have to check the “Use moderator’s view” box . Finally, to save all the changes made in this configuration window, you simply have to click the OK button .
Tips for making better PowerPoint presentations
Beyond specifying a personalized configuration for your PowerPoint presentation, it is also essential to make use of certain recommendations or tips with which you can create presentations with a professional touch, in a simple and effective way .
Therefore, below, we highlight three points that you must keep in mind to make the best possible presentations:
Sort the content
While it is true, a PowerPoint presentation is like a story . For this reason, it is important that you show an introduction, a plot and an ending, correspondingly. In that sense, it is advisable to organize the content by grouping the topics to be discussed, in an insightful and coherent way .
Therefore, when creating your slides, you must choose to create a detailed script about all the information, data and elements that you want to present throughout your file . You can even reorder the slides so that they make more sense to each other and ensure optimized continuity to make sure of this once you’ve started crafting .
Use high-quality images and graphics
Another interesting point to make the best PowerPoint presentations is to enrich the content through images, graphics or visual elements that provide the highest possible quality. Since, beyond presenting excellent content, it is also valuable to illustrate your presentation to attract the attention of viewers .
For that, you can download free, copyright-free, quality images through the numerous image banks that operate on the web . Even making use of a good camera, you can create your own images to guarantee complete exclusivity . Otherwise, regardless of the content of your presentation, you are likely to make a bad impression on the audience .
Be balanced with design
Design is also an essential parameter to qualify a presentation as good or bad. Therefore, it is important that you strike a balance in the design of your slides, so that they are consistent and look professional . To do this, focus on using the same sizes, styles, and fonts throughout your presentation .
Additionally, it is valuable that you choose the colors to use well, since they have the ability to cause certain subconscious reactions in the audience. Indeed, choose a good color combination, without having to be outdated, monotonous or repetitive . In any case, try to be extremely original and focus on modern styles for the design of your presentation.