Often happens. You buy a computer online and when you get home after a long wait, it is completely in another language than yours . In principle this is not a serious problem since the functions of the Windows 8 operating system will be complete and perfectly usable, but if you do not understand things well, your experience as a user can be spoiled.
The real problem is that when you get ready to make the change you do not know how, since the functions are moved, you have no idea how to get to the section corresponding to the language change . But you do not have to be alarmed, it is perfectly correctable and you will be able to do it even if you do not understand well the original language of Windows 8 that came with your computer.
In this article we are going to teach you how to change the language of Windows 8 in every way, from the screen to the keyboard and each of its characters . In addition, we will share with you the list of all the existing language packs for both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
Steps to download and install the language pack in Windows 8 (Windows 8 Language Packs)
The reality is that Microsoft is aware that this scenario can occur on many occasions. For this reason, it offers the user two fairly simple methods to apply to change the language of the computer with astonishing ease.
Below we explain each of them so that you can do it when you like in the most practical way possible:
Method 1: Using the Windows 8 Language Manager
The first method to do this is using the Windows 8 Language Manager, which is an application that Microsoft has devised so that you can make changes to the language of your computer automatically. This wizard has more than 100 pre-installed languages, including regional variations for each dialect that will be very interesting to you.
This means that finding both a Spaniard from Spain, as well as one for Latin America or the United States, the choice is up to you.
To apply these changes you simply have to follow the steps that we explain below :
- Enter the Windows 8 Control Panel and go to the “Clock, language and region” section .
- Once you have identified the previous section, click on the “Add language” option , which is located just below.
- This will open a window in which you can configure various aspects of the language of your computer. The next thing is to look for the option “Add a language” .
- After doing this, a large list of pre-installed languages will appear that you can add to apply them, what you should do is select the one you want to apply according to your needs. Once found, click on “Add”. You must bear in mind that there are many variants of the same language, so it is best to choose the one corresponding to your country to avoid confusing phrases in the future.
- This will take you back to the window where you clicked on add language in the second instance, and you will see that the new package is added so that you can download and apply it. The next thing is to click on “Options”.
- This will open a new window where you will see the different language options. What you have to do is select the option “Download and install language pack”, which is an option that you must run as administrator.
- After doing this, the language begins to download, which can take a few minutes since the lightest package weighs about 600Mb, so everything will depend on the download speed of your internet , but it is generally quite fast. Either way, you will see a window showing the download and installation progress.
- Once the language is downloaded and installed, what you must do is restart the computer and all the work will be done.
Method 2: Manually
There are a few reasons that the above method may not work properly. Among them is the fact that you want to play smart by installing a pirated copy of the operating system that is incomplete, because we already know that piracy is not 100% perfect.
Another more common reason is that you have an OEM version of Windows that has a default language and does not let you change it, which is very common, but it does not mean that you are condemned to use the OS in a language that is not yours.
Your lifesaver is to perform the installation manually, which you can do perfectly regardless of the type of license you have or if the Windows is pirated and incomplete .
To do this, you must follow the steps that we explain below:
- Download the language pack you want to install. It is important that for this you look at the version of your Windows 8, which can be 32bits or 64bits, which means that you must install a language pack with those characteristics.
- Once the installation is finished you will have a .cab file that cannot be run normally. In order to do this you will have to open the run box by pressing the “Windows + R” keys and typing the command “LPKSetup.exe”.
- Once this is done, a window will open in which you must select the option “Install language to display”, which is always the first of the two possible options .
- This will open a new window in which you will have to select the “Search” option .
- After this, the system will open a small window in which you will have to search for the path where the .cab file you downloaded is saved, where the language pack is located.
- Once you do this, the system itself will identify it as a language, which will appear among the eligible options.
- Now you must click on “Next” so that the system will proceed to install the selected language automatically.
- Before installation you will have to accept the Microsoft license terms and then click “Accept”. After that the installation will begin, which shouldn’t take more than a couple of minutes.
- Now you will see a window where the installed language is displayed. The next thing you should do is check the box “Apply display language to welcome screens and system accounts” and then click “Change display language” .
- Now what you have to do is simply restart the computer and when it starts again the language will be completely changed.
How to change and activate the language on your Windows 8 computer?
If you did the above process in a good way, then everything should be fine by now, but the job is not done. To make the language change, what you have to do to apply the new language is the following:
- Open the control panel and go to the “Clock, language and region” section .
- Once there click on “Add language”. After that, you will see the list of installed languages, which should be yes or yes the one you downloaded and installed recently. What you have to do is select it and click “Move up” so that it is in the first position, which will make it the default language of the operating system.
- After that we simply have to restart the computer and voila, the job will be finished.
If in the future you want to change the language again, you just have to enter this section and follow the steps mentioned to establish it, or download it in the way that we teach you in the first sections of this guide. However, there is still something that has not changed, and it is the keyboard, which we will teach you in the next section.
How to put the keyboard of your Windows 8 computer to Spanish?
Once you install the language pack, it is the language of the computer screen that changes, but not the language of the entire system. Therefore, if you want to have the entire operating system in Spanish, you will have to apply more change s. The first thing we are going to teach you is to change the keyboard language .
To do this, you simply have to follow the steps below:
- Enter the control panel and go back to the option “Clock, Language and Region”, and then click on the option “Change input methods” .
- After that you will see a window with the available languages, including the one you already installed. Now what you have to do is click on “Options”.
- Once this is done, a window will open with all the language options, to which you will have to click on the option “Add to input methods “.
- The previous action will open a window in which are the different input methods available according to the selected language. Choose the one you like the most and click “Add”.
One thing to be clear about is that this will simply change the way your keyboard is recognized by the operating system, which will affect the order of some keys and special characters.
How to apply the display language to the rest of Windows 8?
Now you have almost the entire operating system changed languages, but you still need to apply the changes to the rest of it. This will make each and every character in Windows 8 be in the language you want to apply, thus ending your mission.
What you have to do is quite simple:
- Enter the control panel and go to the “Clock, language and region” section . Once there click on “Advanced Settings” .
- This will open another window, in which you must select the option “Apply language settings to welcome screen, system accounts and new accounts”.
- This will open a new window. In the “Welcome screen and new user accounts” section, you must click on “Copy settings”, which will open a new window.
- In the new options window you must check the two boxes at the end that say “Welcome screen and system accounts” and “New user accounts” respectively, and finish by clicking “OK”.
- Once this is done, the language changes will have been applied to all aspects of the system and your work will be finished. All you have to do is reboot the W8 system .
How to uninstall one or more language packs on W8?
In case one day you want to remove a language from your Windows, it is good that you know that you can do it without this having any consequences other than returning to the default language that the computer came with.
All you have to do is the following :
- Go to the control panel and in the “Clock, language and region” section, click “Add language” . This will show you the list of languages that are installed.
- In the selected language click on “Options”.
- In the window with the list of options, you must click on “Uninstall language pack”, which is an option that you must run as administrator.
- You will then see a screen showing the progress of the uninstallation.
- When finished, you should return to the window with the list of languages, select the language that you just uninstalled and click “Remove”.
- After this you simply have to restart the computer and you will see the original language with which it was when you turned it on for the first time.
Why will the language packs no longer be available if I upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1?
With the last update that was made to the system, when you install Windows 8.1 you will no longer be able to count on the old language packs. This is a feature of the software revision and in fact, if you upgrade from W8 , the system will revert to its base language.
This is because W8 and W8.1 have specific versions in their language packs . So before installing you should think twice.
However, this does not mean that you cannot fix it and put the system in Spanish after the update. What this means is that you will have to install each package from scratch, applying the changes that we explained above.
List of all language packs to install in Windows 8
As we promised at the beginning of this article, we have compiled each and every one of the official links for you to manually download the language packs you want. Once you download them, you simply have to follow the steps that we explained in the previous point: “How to perform the installation manually” .
This is all for now, we hope we have helped you to completely change the language of your Windows 8 operating system, so that you can fully use it in your mother tongue. In the future we will do the same with W10 and all the versions that come out.