This feature is a tool introduced by Apple on their mobile phones to help users. It is a function that reveals the exact location of the device when it is disconnected, something that helps a lot in case of loss or even theft .
It is used to detect, on a fully detailed map, where the phone is as long as it is connected and operational. When turned off, this tool also reveals where it was the last time it was running. In the same way, it can also be used to locate a person who has an iPhone that has this function activated.
An interesting security measure for the owners of these phones and that should be mastered. If you don’t know how to turn “find my iPhone” on and off, let’s make it easy for you with this guide. We give you all the explanations and we detail step by step what you have to do through different methods. Whether the terminal is locked or if you want to use iCloud or if you do not remember the necessary Apple ID password, we give you all the guidelines you need.
Steps to enable or disable the “find my iPhone” option
The steps to enable or disable this option do not vary much depending on the medium used. It is important to know that, in most cases, it is not possible to activate this option unless you are using the phone with which you want to enable it. To disable, however, things are easier.
In the following sections we explain everything:
If the phone is locked
If the phone is locked it is because it has a previous owner who has not cleaned the information correctly and, now, you are prevented from even entering the terminal. In this case, whether the activation lock screen or the password screen appears, what you should do is what we are going to explain with the following steps:
- Contact the previous owner of the iPhone by whatever means, it seems obvious but this option would solve the problem almost immediately.
- Ask me to deactivate the phone lock, if it is nearby. If he is not, give him the following indications:
- Log into the iCloud website https://www.icloud.com with your Apple ID .
- Once inside, go to the “Find my iPhone ” section.
- After that, click on the option “ All devices ”. It appears at the top of the screen.
- Mark the device to delete from the list.
- When it is selected, click on the option “Delete device ” or “Delete “.
- If asked, click on “Remove from account ” or “Accept .”
- When you have done this, you will be able to access the phone again . If there are no modifications, we recommend turning the terminal off and on again to refresh the information.
- Now, enter the “Settings” section to access the iPhone settings.
- From there, click on “General .”
- Now go to “Reset” and, within its menu, press “Delete contents “. It will finish cleaning the device if it has not already been done.
- Now, go back to “Settings” and enter both your Apple ID and the password in case a screen that asks you does not appear.
- Within the “Settings” menu , click on your username.
- From there, click on “iCloud”.
- Then, look for the option “Find my iPhone”.
- In the screen that appears now, you will only have to activate or deactivate depending on what you want. To do this, press the button on the right.
You cannot enable or disable “Find My iPhone” without a password. Apple’s security system is designed so that only the true owner of the device can modify this option, so it requires that not only a password be entered, but also the Apple ID linked to the terminal .
If you do not have the password to access the ID, the only solution is to go to the iCloud platform and request a new one:
- Enter the website https://www.icloud.com
- Once loaded, click or tap on the option “Forgot your Apple ID or password?”.
- On the next screen, enter the Apple ID you don’t have the key for.
- After this, check the option “I want to reset my password” and then click on “Continue “.
- We now recommend choosing the option “Answer security questions” and clicking “Continue ” again. If you prefer, you can choose “Receive an email “.
- Answer several of these questions in order to move forward.
- Now enter the new password to enter, you have to write it twice to confirm that it is correctly entered. Then, click on “Reset “.
- Now, go to the phone and go back to the “Find my iPhone” option . Use the new password and you can continue.
From another device
If you don’t have another device with an iOS operating system, jump directly to the next section to see how to proceed from iCloud. If you have it or know someone who does, follow these steps, although you won’t be able to enable it:
- With your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch turned on, open the “Find My iPhone” application.
- Once this is done, log in with the Apple ID of the phone in question and also enter the access code in the fields that appear. It is possible that the original account must be unlinked from the terminal or that of a family member who is linked to the family group may have to be used.
- When you are inside, go to the “Settings” section.
- Now click on your Apple account .
- Then mark the iPhone you want to access.
- The next thing you should do is, in the menu that now appears, click on the option “Find my iPhone” to leave it marked as “Yes ” or “No ” depending on what you want to do.
You need another device and a web browser, and you can only disable the service, since enabling it requires having the terminal in hand. Then follow these steps that we are going to show you:
- Open the web browser of the device you are using and enter the following URL in the address bar at the top: https://www.icloud.com/#find
- Now, enter your Apple ID email address in the blank field on the screen. Press the arrow icon next to it once you have done it.
- Then repeat writing the access code in the field that just appeared below. Remember to respect capital letters if there are any. Click on the arrow again.
- In the panel that appears, click or tap on “All Devices.”
- Next, you will see a list of all those that have linked to your account. Choose the one you want.
- When you have chosen it, now you just have to click on the option “Remove from account” so that it is deactivated.
- If this does not appear, look for another that has a symbol in the shape of an X, it is the one for “Delete “. All you have to do is click on it and accept if asked. Clever!