When creating a new web page we must distinguish between two aspects. On the one hand we have the frontend, everything that runs on the computer of the person visiting the web, which is in charge of all the design and the elements with which the user can interact, while on the other hand we have the backend, which that is executed from the server and that is responsible, among other things, for processing the databases and the information entered by the user from the frontend.
Next we are going to see which are the best open source frameworks that we can find when creating our website.
Laravel: API-based for all kinds of backend
This is one of the best known and most used frameworks that we can find when creating the backend of a web page. This uses PHP, the most popular language in web development, in the background. Laravel offers us an extensive API and a host of great robust features that not only help us create web pages faster, but also make them more stable and easy to maintain.
Its main characteristics are:
- It allows adding a secure and robust authentication system in a very simple way.
- Makes web pages much faster thanks to its internal cache.
- It allows you to control vulnerabilities and other flaws much more easily than with other alternatives.
We can download this framework for free from its repository .
Spring Web MVC: use Java to query databases
This is another well-known framework for web server development. Spring is based on the Servlet API (that is, in Java) and is specially designed to send requests to a database or other servers, configure the resolution of the view and take care of controlling the regional settings of the web, as well as the theme and uploading files from the frontend.
Some of its characteristics are:
- Thanks to DispatcherServlet, each of the framework’s functions is properly separated and isolated from everything else. Thus, the controller, validator, modeler, etc. do not interfere with the operation of the others.
- It offers great configuration possibilities.
- Advanced filters that allow us to send requests through GET, POST, PUT, PATCH and DELETE.
- It has a simulation system to check that everything works correctly.
We can access the documentation and download of this framework from this link .
Ruby on Rails: another fast, simple and powerful framework
Ruby on Rails is another of the most popular and widely used web development frameworks. As its name indicates, it stands out especially for being programmed in Ruby, so it is organized into objects, has a very clear and light structure and increases the adaptability of the program for all types of infrastructures. Some well-known websites and platforms, such as Airbnb, GitHub, Shopify, and Hulu use this framework.
The main features of RoR are:
- Web applications are supported by the MVC pattern.
- It requires less code than other frameworks, allowing you to create web applications in 30% to 40% less time.
- Thanks to Don’t Repeat Yourself, we avoid code repetition and, therefore, we reduce the information within the system and the probability of errors.
- The code is fully scalable, so we can adjust it according to our needs.
- It has very safe life cycles.
All the information about this can be found here .
ASP.NET: Microsoft’s technology within everyone’s reach
Like everything in .NET, this is the Microsoft framework. ASP.NET is a free, cross-platform and, above all, open source framework for creating all kinds of web applications and services in .NET and C #. This is capable of running on Windows, macOS and Linux, and uses Windows Forms, WPF and UWP for the creation of web applications, yes, only for Windows. Thanks to the .NET Framework, it is possible to extend the capabilities of ASP.NET far beyond the use of standards and available technologies.
Some of its main characteristics are:
- It allows programming from any operating system (Windows, macOS, Linux).
- Improved performance.
- Use of several versions in parallel.
We can download it from here .
Cake PHP: very fast framework to create PHP apps
This PHP framework stands out, above all, for allowing users to have very fast development, one of the fundamental parts of creating web applications. Thanks to Cake PHP we will be able to work in a much faster and more structured way, with tools that help us to code logically all the content of the application.
Some of the features that Cake PHP stands out for are:
- It allows us to build a prototype very easily.
- It has an MIT license, so we can create all kinds of commercial applications without problems.
- It has a large number of integrated tools that allow us to improve the creation of web applications. Thanks to them we can have several translations, input validation, SQL, XSS and CSRF protection, access to the database and an internal cache to improve performance.
We can know in depth the characteristics of this, and download what is necessary to start working with it, from its website .
Django: the framework for those who don’t have time
Without a doubt, this is the best framework we can find if we are caught on time. Django is based on Python, and thanks to its nature, it is possible to create web applications quickly with as little code as possible. The applications that we create with it stand out, above all, for having a clean and intuitive design. Some of the most used web applications, such as Mozilla, National Geographic and Pinterest, rely on the design of their infrastructures.
Some of the most important features that we find in this are:
- It allows creating rich and dynamic APIs for the use of databases.
- It has a very complex authentication system based on user, groups, permissions and sessions.
- It helps keep development free from security flaws, offering protection against clickjacking, SQL injections, remote code execution, and more.
We can download it from here .